Grahamstown Journal

Grahamstown Journal 1888 03 March

Thursday 1 March 1888

Several cases having occurred of poisoning by this plant, a friend feels impelled to mention that during the residence at Healdtown of the late Rev. John AYLIFF, several children were poisoned on the Institution by eating the seeds of the stramonium. On one occasion, however, a little boy affected was carried in to the Mission House, and Mr. AYLIFF, who had frequently successfully used Croft’s Tincture of Life as an antidote for the bite of snakes, determined to try it in this instance, and after administering two or three doses the boy calmed, slept quietly, and the next day was quite well. After that Mr. AYLIFF always used “Croft’s Tincture” for any cases of poisoning brought to him on the Institution.

Saturday 3 March 1888

Mr. W. Montague HAW’s Sales
Eastern Province Guardian, Loan & Investment Co.
The Trustee of the above-named Insolvent Estate will cause to be sold by public auction, at Grahamstown, at Mr. W. Montague HAW’s Commission Sale, on Tuesday 27th March 1888 at noon,
All the Insolvent’s Right, Title and Interest in the will of Annie Amelia AMM (born LEACH), widow of the late John VERITY.
A copy of the said will may be seen, and all information obtained, at the Office of the undersigned.
A SHAND, Secretary
Agent for the Trustee
Sale conducted by henry LAWRANCE, Auctioneer.

MARRIED at Trinity Church, Grahamstown, on March 1st 1888, by the Rev. J.D. Don, Robert Frederick John, eldest son of R. McWILLIAMS Esq, King Williamstown, to Emmie Hayes, second daughter of William JUBY Esq, Grahamstown.

On Thursday morning last Mr. Fred. McWILLIAMS, eldest son of R. McWILLIAMS, the genial Market-master of “King”, and Emmie Hayes, second daughter of William JUBY Esq of Grahamstown, were united in the bonds of matrimony by the Rev. J.D. DON of King Williamstown, who is officiating during the absence of the Rev. J.A. CHALMERS. The bridesmaids were Miss JUBY and Miss McWILLIAMS, Mr. G.G. CAWOOD and Mr. C.P. WINTER supporting the lucky groom. It is needless to say that the ladies looked charming and that everything went “as merry as a marriage bell”. The happy couple, accompanied by Mr. Mrs. And Miss Daisie McWILLIAMS, left in private carts for “King” shortly after the ceremony.

From the Transvaal it is reported that Mr. BRINCK, Landdrost of Rustenburg, and the whole of his family, have been drowned while attempting to cross Elands River. Our information states that the wagon was completely smashed, and that bodies have not been recovered, no attempt having been made to that end.

Thursday 8 March 1888

In the Testate Estate of the late George THOMAS, of the Farm Welcome Wood, Albany, and surviving Spouse
All Persons having Claims against the above Estate are requested to file or send in the same to Mr. James THOMAS of Hillary Farm, Post Office, Sand Flats, Division of Alexandria, for the Executors Testamentary, within six weeks from this date; and all Persons indebted to the Estate to pay their Debts to him for the Executors within the same period.
Attorney for Executors
Grahamstown, 7th March 1888

The Colesberg paper reports a sad accident to a young farmer named VAN DER WALT, which ended fatally. He and some friends were trying their strength and agility in jumping and lifting weights. Eventually they tried lifting a cart to show their strength. The deceased put forth a great effort, and lifted more than the others, but in doing so he suffered a rupture and fell down in pain. Dr. KNOBEL was sent for, but could do nothing for him without bringing him to town and performing an operation. By the time this was accomplished the bowel had mortified and the poor fellow did not long survive the operation.

It is with considerable regret that we learn that a telegram has been received by the family of Mr. David HUME that that gentleman, so well known in Grahamstown, had been taken with apoplexy and had died shortly afterwards. The deceased was on his way down from Secholo’s country to Kimberley at the time; and it was a little this side of Taunga that death overtook him. Mr. HUME leaves a wife and eight children to mourn their loss, and we tender our sincere sympathy to them in their bereavement.

Saturday 10 March 1888

The D.F. Advertiser announces the death of the Rev. R. HAYES of Beaconsfield, general Superintendent of the Kimberley and Bloemfontein Wesleyan District, which occurred suddenly on Tuesday last. Mr. HAYES, who was comparatively a young man, had suffered from repeated attacks of fever, and was understood to be ailing, but no idea was entertained that his decease was near. He had arranged to go for a voyage to England shortly, in the hope of re-establishing his health. During his pastorate at Beaconsfield, says our contemporary, Mr. HAYES has made many friends, and he will be much missed.

Tuesday 13 March 1888

Mr. John COOKE, of 10 New-street, who was one of the best known and most zealous workers in the cause of Friendly Societies in Capetown, died almost suddenly at his residence yesterday evening from the sting of an insect. Mr. COOKE was not even aware what the insect was, the sting appeared so trifling; but it was poisonous, for symptoms of blood poisoning set in, and in a few hours the result was fatal. Mr. COOKE leaves a large family. A numerous attendance of the Brethren of Friendly Societies is expected at the funeral, which takes place at Newlands Cemetery this afternoon.

We regret to inform our readers that Mr. James HOGGAN, an old and esteemed citizen of Grahamstown, died on Saturday afternoon last, at the age of fifty seven years and four months, leaving a widow and family to mourn his death. The deceased filled the office of elder in the Trinity Church for a period of over 16 years, and for the last 26 years at least has been a devoted member of that church. He was also a member of the Ancient Order of Foresters, holding the position of Chief Ranger. He was a member of St.Andrew’s Masonic Lodge while he was also a keen supporter of the Good Templars, and he will be greatly missed by a large circle of friends who held him in the highest esteem for the straightforward manner in which he carried through anything which he took in hand. The funeral took place yesterday afternoon, and a large number followed the remains to their last resting-place. The Church of which he was a member was represented by Mr. COLDRIDGE and Mr. Chas. GOWIE, who walked along with the Rev. R. MATTERSON and the procession. Each Society we have alluded to was well represented and formed a long cortege on the road to the grave. The Rev. R. MATTERSON in the absence through illness of the Rev. J.A. CHALMERS, the pastor of Trinity Church, officiated on the occasion. Bro. SAMPSON of St.John’s Lodge read the impressive Masonic Funeral Service. After which the Foresters likewise performed a similar service, their ritual being read by Bro. J. VIALLS P.C.R. and Treasurer. The pall-bearers were two Royal Arch Masons of St.Andrew’s Royal Arch Chapter, two Foresters likewise acting as pall-bearers, one of them being an old schoolmate of the deceased, namely Mr. John WEDDERBURN. There were also two Good Templars who took a similar part in the proceedings.
The late Mr. HOGGAN was born at sea on his way out to this country. His father was a soldier, who died in Grahamstown; and the deceased yesterday was laid alongside his father and mother in the Cemetery we have already mentioned.
Requiescat in pace.

Thursday 15 March 1888

MARRIED by Special Licence at Grahamstown on Thursday 8th March 1888, by the Rev. Barnabus Shaw, Charles Stephen, fifth son of E. DELL Esq of Delton, to Edith Emma, second daughter of John BRADFIELD Esq of Peddie.

DIED at the Rectory, Peddie, on March 10th 1888, after a short illness, Florence E.N. COYTE, the beloved daughter of the Rev. and Mrs. COYTE, aged 5 months and 3 days. “Thy will be done”.
Mr. and Mrs COYTE desire to thank their many kind friends for their kindness and sympathy in their sad bereavement.

FELL ASLEEP IN CHRIST on March 10 1888, James HOGGAN, aged 57 years 4 months. Deeply regretted by a sorrowing family and a large circle of friends.
“Blessed are the Dead that die in the Lord.”
The sorrowing family beg to tender their sincere thanks to thee many kind friends – also to Dr. HAMILTON – for their unremitting attention during the deceased’s illness.

An old Frontier colonist (Mr. E.W. BIDDULPH) died at Johannesburg recently at the age of 63 years. He was the son of one of the Settlers of 1820, and was born in the Eastern Province. For years he was a well-to-do farmer on the Frontier; but like many others in the earlier days of the Colony he had suffered by the ravages of the Kafirs, and was able to relate many startling incidents of the wars of 1846-50. Leaving the old Colony he migrated to the Free State and then to Natal; but on the discovery of gold being made in the Transvaal he went thither to improve his fortunes, leaving his family in Natal. The greater part of this stay in the Transvaal was at the Kaap and Upper Komatie districts, and he settled own at Johannesburg about six months ago. He was (a contemporary remarks) a man much respected, and leaves a widow and a large family to mourn their loss.

Thursday 22 March 1888

BIRTH at Grahamstown on the 16th inst, the wife of A.A. FLETCHER (British Kaffraria) of a son.

FALLEN ASLEEP on 21st March 1888, at the residence of her father, Margaret Eleanor Mee (Ella), second daughter of Mr. Ed. BOOTH, in her 21st year.
Grahamstown 22nd March 1888.
The Funeral of the above will leave the residence of her Father, Beaufort-st, tomorrow (Friday) morning at 8 o’clock precisely. Friends invited to attend.

DIED on Wednesday 21st inst, at Breakfast Vley, Mary WATSON, born in Pennally, Wales 1805.
The family of the late Mrs. WATSON humbly beg to tender their sincere thanks to the Rev. Mr. COYTE at Peddie, Dr. POTE at Victoria East and other friends for their sympathy kindly manifested in the last moments of the deceased.

It is our melancholy duty to announce the death of Miss Ella BOOTH, second daughter of Mr. Edward BOOTH of this city. For some time Miss BOOTH had been a constant invalid, and succumbed yesterday afternoon to an attack of inflammation of the lungs. The sincere sympathy of all who knew Miss BOOTH will be with the bereaved family in their affliction.

It is our painful duty to inform our readers that Mrs. WATSON died on Wednesday last at her son’s house at Breakfast Vley. She had been ailing for some time back and on Saturday, on the return from town of her son, Mr. James WATSON, and while she was chatting with him, she was seized with a paralytic stroke, from which she never rallied. She leaves two sons, James and Henry, and three daughters; Mrs. MEDWAY, Graaffreinet, Mrs. SCHOLTZ, Bechuanaland, and Mrs. THACKWRAY of Gletwin. The deceased lady was in her eighty-fifth year, having been born in Wales on May 8th 1805. During her long life she was highly esteemed by all who knew her, and her demise will be regretted by a large circle of friends. The older inhabitants of Grahamstown tell many interesting stories of her varied and detailed knowledge of persons and events extending over the last half century, and till the day of her death her wonderful faculties remained entirely unimpaired. During her brief illness she was attended by Dr. POPE, who, although he from the first despaired of her recovery, was unremitting in his attentions throughout. The funeral will take place tomorrow at Peddie, the residence of her younger son.

Saturday 24 March 1888

MARRIED on Tuesday 28th Feb 1888 at Christiana, Transvaal, by the Rev. Malherbe D.R.C., John Edward, son of Mr. J. LOWNE-FROST, Uitenhage, to Maria, daughter of the late P.A. VAN YPEREN, Landdrost of Christiana. No cards.

Tuesday 27 March 1888

Much regret was caused in town yesterday morning when it became known that Mr. SISSING, the well known post-contractor, had met with a fatal accident in King Williamstown. Mr. WHEELDON, partner of the deceased, was shocked to receive a telegram from Mr. SISSING’s daughter, which stated that her father had been accidentally killed the previous day, but giving no particulars further than asking Mr. WHEELDON to come at once, and a cart would await him at Breakfast Vley. Within a few minutes Mr. WHEELDON was on the road, and would arrive, if all went well, in Kingwilliamstown last night. Mr. SISSING was well known and highly respected in Grahamstown; and great sympathy is expressed for the large and we may say young family he has left behind. There have been various rumours as to the cause of the deplorable accident; but as far as we can learn, deceased was digging up something at the foot of his garden when the wall gave way and he was buried under the rubbish.

Thursday 29 March 1888

BIRTH on the 24th March 1888 at Lawrance-street, the wife of G. ROWLEY of a son.

The late Mrs. WATSON, who died recently at Breakfast Vley, was interred at Peddie. A large number of mourners were present at the funeral to show their respect to one who was beloved by all who knew her.

The remains of the late Mr. SISSING were interred at Kingwilliamstown on Tuesday last. A very large number of people attended the funeral, including the Freemasons, of which body Mr. SISSING was a prominent member.


Print Email

1880 to 1899

Visitors to this site

So far today:So far today:191
So far this week:So far this week:796
currently online: 31